Entrepreneur Interview: Cyndii Sinex with Chronic Illness Hotline
This podcast episode introduces Cyndii Sinex, founder of the (new) Chronic Illness Hotline.
The hotline provides a listening ear for those with chronic illness during the current pandemic and beyond.
Chronic Illness Hotline gives a safe place to vent negatives, celebrate positives, practice advocating, build a journey story, set goals, help identify resources, and much more.
Connect with the Chronic Illness Hotline:
- Text “care” to 202–596–6520
- Visit https://chronicillnesshotline.org/
- Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/chronicillnesshotline
- Follow on Twitter https://twitter.com/IllnessHotline
- Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/chronicillnesshotline
- 00:20 Introducing Chronic Illness Hotline
- 01:09 Cyndii’s background, and how one small slip and fall took her down a healthcare rabbit hole
- 02:10 Diagnosis #1 — fibromyalgia
- 02:45 Prescribed anti-depressant SSRIs, which put serotonin at a toxic level
- 03:10 Nerve damage, cardiac arrest, respiratory failure caused by medication were attributed to anxiety
- 03:50 Medical community was aware of serotonin syndrome but it wasn’t widespread understanding
- 04:30 Eight years to diagnose serotonin toxicity, several more for additional diagnoses
- 04:47 The toll it took on her life
- 05:27 With other hotlines, callers want to take their life, but Cyndii calls because she’s afraid her life is being taken, so she felt like she didn’t fit
- 07:00 Illness must be in your head
- 07:45 Just use this prescription
- 08:30 Why another hotline? How CIH is different and why a specific hotline is important
- 09:45 Why even our most supportive and loving friends and family can’t always provide the support we need
- 10:15 Why would a hotline caller want to celebrate?
- 11:05 Five of the common reasons people reach out to the hotline 12:00 Why it’s hard when someone asks “how are you?”
- 15:15 Getting the nonprofit started
- 16:39 What sparked the idea
- 18:11 Nonprofit work is like 10 full-time jobs (don’t I know this!)
- 18:42 The impact of Covid-19 on their startup plans — starting early and pivoting marketing
- 26:55 What it takes to recruit
- 27:46 Your challenge … even small donations add up — paypal link is above!
- 30:55 There’s two types of people on social media
- 33:03 Social media fairy, please visit! How you can help with the hotline’s social media marketing
- 34:00 The best thing you can do for a friend who has a chronic illness or pain
- 35:00 One of the best things you can do if you’ve been diagnosed or are going through trying to be diagnosed
- 37:00 General mental health tip
- 39:00 Stages of grief when your body is failing you
- 39:30 How to connect with the CIH
- 40:30 Why not to share our social posts by tagging a friend — send a private message instead
- 41:21 All aspects of your life affect your chronic illness
- 43:04 Information on how you can support the cause
- 43:53 Cyndii’s question for me about the beast that is SEO
Originally published at https://vickywu.us on July 15, 2020.